Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Time to get to work Day one of prep 09/15/2015.



My son reluctantly helping out hopefully he will feel that he is a part of the restoration so while he's cruising her around he marina he will take pride and more importantly care of it.










I'm finding that all bolts and nuts are rusted to the point that they really don't work as nut's and bolts any more, As much as I want to do an original restore to this boat quickly I'm realizing that some things are going to have to be replaced with new.








The Rub rail I have seen many different web sites to buy rub rail so I'm not to worried about finding the exact replacement. I will let you know in the future where I find the rub rail and the installation process. Please remember I'm not a professional restoration guy this is my winter project and my first time restoring anything on my own. I'm sure there will be many costly lessons in my future.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             The rub rail is easily removed only one screw and a piece of metal used as a handle in the back of the boat holds it on. After removing the screw and the handle simply pull on the rub rail and it should come off it seems that the only thing holding it on is what had to be a caulk of some sort, I'm going to get more into the type of adhesive used when I do the re-installation.                                                                                                                                                                        






 In the front of the boat it has the Dorsett signature nose piece some of the bigger boat's Dorsett made have even a bigger nose piece they almost look like a hammerhead shark.











By the way as usual nothing is easy to get off the nose piece in this boat is in a very little cubby hole and of coarse the bolts are practically rocks with threads and a nut.







 The original rub rail was installed with some sort of Calk that was difficult to remove but the edge that was left behind is in good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment