Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The beginning of her transformation.

The original Bimini top not something that I want to replicate It's too short it doesn't give much head room to the front two seats so Ill keep it for know and later try to modify this one or find something that will work but still keep with my idea to keep the boat as original as possible, beside not having a Bimini on Lake Mead NV is not an option. 


The side step is made from plastic and over the years it has become brittle mat from to much son or I have a feeling that this boat at one time aw some time on the ocean. It has the original El Dorado name plate on each side and I was able to get off with out damaging them but clearly I wont be able to use the plastic step for a mold at a plastic shop as I hoped to do.
I Mentioned before that when I saw the pictures on the craigslist ad I thought the side piece running parallel to the rub rail was chrome I thought maybe it was painted over but it is aluminium but I plane to have them made chrome during the restoration.
Here is what they looked like but the Manufacturer used an adhesive that made it impossible to remove them with out totally damaging them.
Evinrude is a very common engine for this period boat however the 1959 lark I have come to understand was only made for two years and its very difficult to find parts so if you fine what you need but two or three sets if you can. If anybody has place, website's or really any information on where to find parts for Evinrude or Dorsett boat parts please write on the area bellow I would love to hear from you



On the boat it has what are the original Dorsett Boats logos they are made of pot metal an are riveted on not in great shape but im hoping that a good chrome shop should be able to recast them and make them so they are not pitted as they are now, one more reason I think this boat has seen salt water at one time.


From reading other sites about Dorset boats and other's I found a small shop on the web that has been open since the late 50's early 60's and has a good collection of old parts for boats like this one.
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com/   if you know of any places to get parts please do tell.
I thought I had this emblem purchased I ordered it and after about 15 days passed I received a email from the web page I ordered it from saying they are currently out of that particular emblem and if they get one in the future they would contact me, well see (Still on the hunt) this monkey still on my back. one other interesting site I have found is dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ check him out he has been rebuilding a Dorsett for years.






The man who owned Dorset boats was very diligent in getting patents for his boats and one of the patents he holds is for this window that unhinges in the front and can be turned the opposite way I haven found yet a practical use for it facing the other direction but I will gt into that in a different blog entry.





I'm contemplating on having this put back on after changing the fabric time will tell. Some things should be left original but somethings I'm wavering on.

These pieces can be found if you look hard enough on the internet but the ordinal pieces work and I feel like they deserve another chance in life so I will have then re-chromed and replaced on the boat its not cost effective but that's the way I feel about it.







1 comment:

  1. marineengine.com has lots of gaskets and parts for these years.

    ReplyDelete