Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Big Find 1961 Dorsett , El Dorado

original pictures from the craigslist ad that we answered 
I have been looking for a project boat for about a year on Craigslist My wife and I live in Las Vegas NV so there is not allot of 1950's 1960's boats to choose from.I had a checklist that I wanted to fulfill  Most of the boat I was finding were in Southern California and many of them were already restored or molested, what I mean is the boat didn't have some of the original parts or people have changed the seats and added a stereo by cutting a hole into the dash or worse. I came across a boat for sale by a wonderful couple in a small town Beaver Dame Arizona. The Boat is a 1961 Dorsett, El Dorado with a 1959 Evinrude -Lark outboard engine. I found my project the boat was all original {Check} it wasn't in a million pieces {Check} and it was only about two hours away so if I didn't like what I saw when we arrived we could turn back with out regret {Check}, The price was right {Check}.

original pictures from the craigslist ad that we answered




The exterior of the boat was in great condition, before I ever saw the boat I already had designs on painting it, I just didn't have in mind a all white boat. I was excited about the possibilities that the project would bring. I saw in the pictures what I thought was a lot of chrome on the boat but turned out to be aluminum trim, I'm going to have it chromed.

original pictures from the craigslist ad that we answered










As you can see the interior is also all intact notice that the dash has no holes from some radio shack after market stereo and has the original gauges and the original windshield with no cracks.



original pictures from the craigslist ad that we answered




The outboard engine is a 1959 Evinrude Lark It was very difficult to find parts for lucky for me I have very good friends that own a RV Dealership in Saint George Utah RVZZ  www.utahrvzz.com/ and because Saint George UT wasn't very fare from Beaver Dame AZ. we towed it up to them minutes after we bought it. In no time the boat was running like a top.
                                                                                         

2 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Barbie and I know your mom thru the WomenRV Forum. She sent a link to your blog about your boat. I forwarded it on to my brother in MN. He is well known throughout the midwest for restoring antique outboard motors and boats. He said to tell you he has contacts in your area if you need any parts for old Johnson or Evinrude motors. Let me know if you are interested and I can get that information for you. My email address is weaselwardancers@msn.com. Thanks! And great job on the boat! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Dorset El Dorado I got from my grandpa in California. It has sat in a garage since 1991 but doesn't run. How much did you spend to get yours to run?

    ReplyDelete